In the formative years of the mining industry in Central Kazakhstan, taking into account the need for engineering staff in 1956 was founded the department of “Mining Mechanics”, as its first head was Associate Professor, Ph.D. IK Khrustalev (1956 – 1957 years.). In the period 1957 – 1960 years the chair was headed by Associate Professor, Ph.D. OV Good. In 1960 he took the post of head of the professor, Ph.D. BG Klimov, who successfully led the department until 1988.
The opening of new mines and quarries identified the need for industry professionals in mining power, and in 1958 he founded the department of “General Electrical Engineering and Mining,” the director was appointed Associate Professor, Ph.D. R. Kozlov (1958-1968 years). In 1968, she served as the basis for the organization of departments’ power supply of industrial enterprises “(the Chair Associate Professor, Ph.D. RV Kozlov – 1968-1974, then 1975-1980 – Associate Professor P. Kamensky ) and “Theory of Electrical Engineering” (Head of the professor, Dr. A. Yakovlev – 1968-1979).
Since 1979, the department “Theory of Electrical Engineering”, headed by Professor, Ph.D. YP Galishnikov, and in 1980 the department was reorganized and renamed the Department of Electrical Engineering. To the department was charged with the teaching of electrical engineering, theoretical foundations of electrical engineering, electrical machinery and electronics, which played a prominent role in providing quality education for training engineers. Over the years, the Department of Electrical Engineering managed: Associate Professor, Ph.D. VS Moses (1984-1986), Associate Professor, Ph.D. AF Fazylov (1986 – 1989 years), Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering, Ph.D. EG Nadirov (1989-1997 years) – one of the first teachers of Karaganda Institute of Mining.
To provide engineering training electrical engineers in 1980, the department “Electrical industrial enterprises attached to the chair of Mining Mechanics and led BG Klimov it was called Department of Mining Electromechanics. In 1988-1994 years the chair was headed by prof., Ph.D. AN Shpiganovich. Industrial development in the region and the whole of Kazakhstan requires training of electrical engineers, and after opening in 1990 KPTI degree in Electrical, in 1991 it was renamed into the Department of electricity. In 1994-1997 years the department in charge of associate professor, Ph.D. ML Karakulin.
Total since 1956, the Department has trained more than 2,500 mining engineers, electrical engineers, electrical engineers and mining engineers, electricians.
In order to optimize the educational process working curricula for all specialties of the University were unified in 1997 the Department of “Electricity” and “Electrical” together, and the newly created department was named “Power and Electrical Engineering” and this year she led the D. Sc ., Honored Worker of Education of the Republic of Kazakhstan, BA Zhautikov. In 1997, under the leadership of BA Zhautikov the department produced the first set of students majoring in Electricity “with the Kazakh language. In 2001 the department opened a new specialty of electrification and automation of agricultural production, and for the preparation of professionals involved in research, development, design of energy systems at the department opened the magistracy on the specialty 6N050718 – «Electrical Power Engineering».
The department received a state license:
– Installation and repair of mining equipment, flameproof electrical equipment, instrumentation and control systems, emergency protection and alarm systems;
– Design, construction, installation, commissioning, testing and maintenance of electrical equipment and electrical networks up to 10 kV;
– Audit, adjustment, repair and testing of electrical installations for dewatering mines.
To ensure better performance of mining systems, the Department staff is working on the audit and commissioning of electromechanical equipment in mines each year performing contractual works of more than 2 million tg (leader Zhautikov BA), carried out scientific work on the creation of mine and quarry airlifting units (headed by Nikolaev YA), as well as research on the HS, together with those introduced in the learning process the new discipline in the Russian and Kazakh languages, new laboratory. The department is one of the first to respond to the demands of industry in the field of information by creating computer classes and incorporated in the educational process computer technology and modern software packages. At the Department successfully implemented a credit system for bachelors.
In 2005, considering the increasing need for specialists of heat and power production, the Department begins preparation of bachelors degree in Thermal Engineering.
Laboratory facilities of the Department upgraded electrical complex, allowing to simulate power systems and remote management in the learning process embedded multimedia systems that meet current requirements, which are put forward to the content and quality of training.
In 2008, the head of the department appointed Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering, Ph.D. GG Tatkeeva and, given the profile of training, the Department renamed the Department of Energy.
At the department are 10 teaching laboratories, and 3 computer labs. In real stands, students spend more than 100 labs. In the laboratories of the Department are engaged in virtually all specialties, students of the University of electrical engineering disciplines, CHP, TFE, electricity.
In 2010, the Department signed a contract for training of double degree masters program education from Tomsk Polytechnic University.
Also in 2010, the specialty department 5B071700 “Heat power engineering” and 5B071800 “Electrical power engineering” took 2 and 3 places respectively in the Master’s finest universities of Kazakhstan, in 2011 – both speciality took 2 places.
In 2012, the specialtys “Heat power engineering” and “Electrical power engineering” took 1 places respectively in the Master’s finest universities of Kazakhstan.