FACULTY OF DISTANCE LEARNING
The Faculty of Distance Learning was formed by the Order of RSE KSTU No. 547 dated 08.29.2019 on the basis of the Faculty of Distance Learning in connection with the abolition of the correspondence form of education and the further development of distance learning technologies to provide educational services to students in reduced educational programs on the basis of secondary specialized and higher education. Doctor of Technical Sciences, Associate Professor B.N. Glotov, who has headed the Faculty of Distance Learning since 2008.
The Faculty of Distance Learning was formed by the Decision of the Academic Council of KSTU No. 3 dated September 20, 2008 by combining the Correspondence Faculty and the Faculty of Actual Education in order to optimize management, develop a unified educational and methodological base for distance learning using distance technologies.
At the opening of the Karaganda Mining Institute, along with the full-time form of education, on-the-job training of specialists was provided. In this regard, in 1954, the Evening Faculty was opened, the first dean of which was I.L. Derevinsky (1954-1957). In the period from 1957 to 1994, the faculty was headed by senior lecturer B.G. Khristenko (1957-1965), associate professors Z.M. Kenzhin (1965-1975), V.M. Malyarevsky (1975-1981), A.Ya. Mamontov (1981-1985), Z.M. Smagulov (1985-1989), I.D. Arystan (1989-1994). In the 90s, due to the crisis in the industries, evening education lost its relevance and in 1994 the Evening Faculty was merged with the Correspondence Faculty. Over 6,000 engineers have been trained at the faculty during its existence.
The Correspondence Faculty of the Karaganda Polytechnic Institute (KarPTI) was opened in 1958, and Ph.D., Associate Professor A.N. Lebedev (1958-1965) was appointed its first dean.
A significant contribution to the development of the Correspondence Faculty was made by Ph.D., associate professors F.N. Kritsevyi (1965-1969), A.Sh. Bozhenov (1970-1975), T.S. Intykov (1975-1982), S.K. Malybaev (1982-1988), B.M. Lungs (1988-1999), B.A. Zhautikov (1999-2001), K.B. Kyzyrov (2001-2008), as well as deputy deans G.A. Lyakh, D.Z. Mukhamedyarov, F.Zh. Amirkenova, F.N. Bulatbaev.
In the 60-70s of the XX century, in connection with the rapid development of industry, general technical faculties (OTF) of KarPTI were organized in the cities of Temirtau, Balkhash, Dzhezkazgan, Kokchetav, Petropavlovsk and Tselinograd with the training of specialists in evening and correspondence forms of education. Graduates of the OTP, having received primary higher education, continued their studies, mainly by correspondence, at KarPTI and other universities. Subsequently, a number of OTFs were reorganized into branches with daytime, correspondence and evening education, and in the 90s they served as the basis for the creation of regional universities.
In connection with the construction of the Karaganda metallurgical plant in Temirtau, in 1958, an evening faculty was opened to train engineering personnel in metallurgical and construction specialties. In 1963, on the basis of this faculty, a plant-technical college was created, later renamed the Karaganda Metallurgical Institute (now the Karaganda Industrial University). The first rector was prof. A.G. Shumakov.
In 1960, the Balkhash evening faculty was organized, the first dean of which was associate professor O.V. Khoroshev (1960-1962). In 1963-1976, the faculty was headed by L.I. Loner (1963-1972) and T.M. Igibaev (1972-1976). In 1976, the evening faculty was reorganized into the Balkhash General Technical Faculty (BOTF), headed by T.M. Igibaev (1976-1979), N.A. Zhaisanbaev (1979-1983), E.S. Utenov (1984-1987).
In 1961, the evening faculty of KarPTI was opened in the city of Dzhezkazgan, the dean of which was M.S. Kolobochkin. In 1973, the evening faculty was reorganized into the Dzhezkazgan General Technical Faculty, which in 1977 was transformed into a branch of KarPTI. In the period from 1973 to 1991, this educational institution was headed by M.D. Tusupbaev (1973-1975), Z.M. Smagulov (1975-1978), M.N. Shmanov (1978-1982), M. Toktamysov (1982-1984), N. Zhaisanbaev (1984-1988), G.K. Zhakenov (1989-1991). In 1991, the Zhezkazgan branch of KarPTI was transformed into a mining and technological institute, which later served as the basis for the creation of Zhezkazgan University named after O.A. Baikonurov.
In 1972, the Kokchetav General Technical Faculty, headed by Associate Professor M.N. Shmanov (1972-1978) and V.N. Babinets (1978-1993). In 1993, the faculty acquires the status of a branch of KarPTI. Associate Professor K.A. Aitkozhin, who worked in this position until the reorganization into Kokshetau State University named after. Sh. Ualikhanov in 1996
In 1978, the Petropavlovsk OTF, headed by Associate Professor L.V. Nechesov. In 1982, the OTF was transformed into the Petropavlovsk branch of KarPTI, whose director was K.O. Orazov. In 1996, the branch became part of the North Kazakhstan State University.
In 1981, the Tselinograd OTP was opened at the KarPTI, and Associate Professor A.B. Baygarinov. In 1993, the OTF was transformed into the Akmola educational and consulting center, and in 1999 into the Astana branch of KarPTI, the director of which was appointed associate professor V.B. Timchenko.
In 1999, KSTU opened branches in the cities of Pavlodar (director Zh.B. Kovalenko), Ust-Kamenogorsk (director S.Yu. Shevelev), Ekibaztuz (director G.P. Fedotova), which ceased to exist in 2001.
It should be noted that the opening, development and formation of correspondence and general technical faculties, their reorganization into the network of KarPTI branches is associated with the name of the vice-rector for correspondence and evening education, Professor A.N. Daniyarov, who oversaw this area of work for 20 years.
The history of the Faculty of Contemporary Education begins in October 1994, when the Faculty of Accelerated Training was formed at KarPTI. Its creation was due to the requirements of the transition period of the Republic of Kazakhstan to a market economy. The change in the infrastructure of economic sectors and the situation on the labor market has led to the fact that many citizens have a need to receive higher professional education in a shortened time frame. This made it possible to meet the needs of production in the necessary specialists, and the needs of citizens in obtaining basic education for the implementation of a full-fledged labor activity. The formation of the faculty is associated with the name of Ph.D., associate professor G.I. Wallstein (1994-1997).
From 1997 to 2001, the faculty was headed by Ph.D. associate professor N.A. Daniyarov. During this period, the list of specialties for which training is carried out is expanding, the contingent of students is increasing, and in the cities of Pavlodar (1997), Ust-Kamenogorsk (1999), Balkhash (1999), training centers are opened on the basis of the faculty. In 1999 the faculty was renamed into the Faculty of Contemporary Education.
From July 2001 to September 2008, the dean of the faculty was Ph.D., associate professor B.N. Glotov. The revival and development of a number of sectors of the economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan led to the emergence of a need for retraining of specialists in the specialties of the mining, geophysical, and machine-building profiles. The total number of students in 28 specialties was 469 people.
In 2004, the faculty switched to training bachelors in a wide range of technical sciences and technology, social sciences and business, and services. During the existence of the faculty, only in the head university, the graduation of specialists amounted to more than 39,000 people. These are residents not only of Karaganda and the Karaganda region, but also of the cities of Astana, Aktobe, Kokchetav, Kostanay, Rudny, Stepnogorsk, Ekibastuz, Chimkent and many others. Numerous graduates of the faculty work both in leadership positions at various levels, and as engineering and technical workers in various regions of the Republic of Kazakhstan and beyond.
At different times, the Faculty graduated from: the first vice-president of JSC NC “KTZ” K.S. Talaspekov, General Director of KazTransGas JSC E.A. Usenov, President of Lokomotiv JSC NC KTZ JSC K.Zh. Sarsembaev, head of the department of main roads of JSC NC KTZ B.Kh. Sadriev, Chairman of the Board of KEGOC JSC B.T. Kazhiev, head of the Karaganda regional directorate of telecommunications of Kazaktelecom JSC B.R. Amanov, Head of the Karaganda Territorial Regional Department of Environmental Protection B.A. Smagulov, chief geophysicist of UF GIS JSC “Kazpromgeofizika” P.N. Kravets, expert on social and political work of Kazakhmys Corporation LLP S.K. Torybaev, Olympic boxing champion S.Zh. Sapiev, akim of the district named after Kazybek bi of Karaganda B.R. Amanov, akim of Zhana-Arka district S.Zh. Shaidarov, akim of the Karkaraly region N.I. Omarkhanov, akim of the Katon-Karagai district of the East Kazakhstan region A.S. Seitov, akim of the city of Saran E.O. Temirkhanov, Head of the Department of the Regional Tax Inspectorate T.E. Gurtovaya, Deputy Head of the Tax Police Department for the Karaganda region V.N. Yurtsev, director of the Pavlodar regional television and radio company “Didar” M.A. Ibraev, General Director of JSC MMC Kazakhaltyn R.M. Karakesov, Deputy Chief Director of the Republican Center for Geological Information Kazgeoinform LLP K.A. Irgebaev, director of Business Engineering LLP V.S. Puchkov and others.
Currently, the Faculty of Distance Learning trains 789 full-time students in all undergraduate educational programs of the University using distance learning technologies. Training is carried out in a shortened time frame: within 3 years on the basis of TV&E and within 2 years on the basis of higher education.
The Univer 2.0 information system (modular object-oriented dynamic learning environment) is used as the main tool for the implementation of distance learning technologies. It is focused on organizing interaction between the teacher and students and is intended for organizing distance courses. Digital educational resources (DER) for distance learning are placed in the “Distance Courses” section and are attached by discipline according to the working curriculum, syllabuses and terms of study. Each CER sets the sequence of their study by weeks in accordance with the learning outcomes, links to other training materials.
The “Distance courses” section stores a portfolio of each student: all the works submitted by him, grades and comments of the teacher, personal messages. The technical capabilities of the Section allow the teacher to control “attendance” – the activity of students, the time of their study, to collect statistics on students (downloads, homework, grading on tests), to expose material for further study.
Prospects for the development of a system of training personnel using distance learning technologies are to ensure the availability of competitive higher education for all segments of the population, regardless of their place of residence and socio-economic status in the range of educational programs that meet the needs of production.