On February 10, 1934, by the Resolution of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee, the village of Karaganda was transformed into a city.
Karaganda received its name from the boundary of Karagandy bassy – an area densely covered with a low-growing shrub, called Caragana bush (pea shrub).
Today it is a large industrial center of the region. City of Karaganda1 occupies area of 800 sq.km. It is divided into two districts: Kazybekbiysky and Oktyabrsky. The population of the city is over 500 thousand people2